We decided to take an interestingly-timed trip to visit my family in Amsterdam this weekend. Interesting because: my bakery is being built and I just quit my job. But I guess I will just come home to a new life! We’re excited to explore the city, eat lots of pastries, and apparently there is great Indonesian food in The Netherlands. I would have known that if I knew more about world history. Anyway, we are so excited for the food and to spend time with my sister and her family.
I wanted to throw together something quick that you can pull together in a short amount of time to take to your spring bashes or Easter dinners. And of course be really cute in the meantime. I love fruit pizzas – like a lot. Who doesn’t, though? This is a slightly modified version of those, with a brownie base that I think is just divine.
I used lemon curd that I had already prepared in this recipe. You can make some (It’s really easy! Just use this recipe!) or buy some already prepared. It lives next to the jams and jellies at the grocery store. You can also make these vegan!
To make these vegan: You can use whipped coconut cream (the best recipe is here) between the brownie and the fruit. I used lemon curd here, but that is just what seemed springy and fun to me, but it does have butter.
- 1-1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c whipped coconut cream OR 1 c prepared lemon curd
- Assorted fruit - I used 4 kiwi and about 1/4 pint blackberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 1/4 sheet pan and line with waxed paper.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour in all wet ingredients and whisk to combine all ingredients together. Place the batter into your prepared sheet pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the edges just start to pull away from the pan. Let cool completely.
- Cut hearts (or whatever shapes you have in about 3" size) out of the cooled brownies and set aside.
- Top with about 1 Tablespoon of either coconut cream or lemon curd and your sliced fruit. Keep refrigerated once prepared, and serve within 24 hours of assembling.